Thursday, January 17, 2013

Theme For English 3.

Many of the teachers in this school find me as a bothersome student.  I mean, I don't do the homework, I rarely participate in class, yet I understand all the material and can ace the tests.  But when it comes to English, I kick ass.  And I know exactly what the problem is...  I love English.  It's just that simple.  Walking into 608 just brightens my day for about an hour.  My teacher is "LEGEN... ..... Wait for it........... DARY."

Then it's back to the original, crap-shoot of a "learning experience".

As I'm saying this, I'm starting to think that maybe it's my attitude towards the rest of high school that's ruining my meaningless grades.  That and all the missing work.  Ugh.  Now just thinking of paper makes my head hurt.  Add homework to a busy schedule consisting of water polo, work, volleyball, and friends (I like to have at least an itty-bitty ounce of a social life.), and that transforms my world into a list of importance.  At the top, family and school (according to Mother), followed by sports, then friends, then girlfriend (which is basically the same thing, except I can't kiss the former without consequences from the latter), and finally, my novel.  Of all these things that I want to do, every day I must refer to my list of importance and choose the top three (sadly) to carry out that day.

Now don't get me wrong.  I love school.  The people, the subjects (English, and... English), and the teachers, they all add up to greatness.  The problem lies in the complete lack of anything interesting at school.  It's not very compelling when the only thing remotely interesting during the school day is witnessing a fight that lasts for about two seconds and nobody goes down before security rushes in to break it up.

But to get back to the title, English 3 is, at least for this Junior, the BEST THING ON FREAKING CAMPUS!!!!!  The blog, the online stuff, the sometimes-hilarious guest speakers that make Shakespeare understandable for today's teenager.  All these things make up for the shittiness of the rest of school.  To be able to control my own path of knowledge, make it lead towards what I want to excel in means that I can control my own future and not have it handed to me on a used and dented silver platter.  To have a teacher that guides instead of dictates makes for a more well-developed student that is confident as he takes his first strides in the real world.

This is my post for English 3.
2013

1 comment:

  1. Hi I am Dulce and will from now on be your virtual TA~ If you have any questions you can visit my blog and leave them there~!
    Anyways I think this post is very well written and it seems you are into the whole open source learning deal! Anyways keep up your positive attitude and keep writing! I enjoy reading(:

    ReplyDelete